In speaking with members, one of the first things we hear is when does the Call process start and who is on the Committee? The first thing to understand is the Call Process takes time. An average Senior Pastor call takes 12-24 months from start to finish. The most successful and timely searches involve a study, or assessment, of your church PRIOR to building a candidate list. Paramount to the success of the search process is knowing who we are as body of Christ (Mission, Vision and Values) and understanding our long-term growth strategy and aspirations. Only then, can we effectively determine the characteristics we need in the next Senior Pastor and articulate our character in a way than attracts potential candidates. We believe, and research supports, a methodical and deliberate process saves time and frustration in the long run.
The Next 60 days
During the months of August and September we will be busy with the following activities:
- Church Council invited Rev. Mark Frith, Vice President Ministry Support with the Lutheran Church Extension fund (LCEF) to bring his team for a full day of Discovery. On Tuesday, August 6 Mark and Casey Carlson, Concordia member with LCEF, met with staff and Council to gain perspective of where we feel God is leading us. In the coming weeks they will deliver an analysis along with recommendations for what we need to do as a church to prepare us for our future with a new Senior Pastor.
- During August, we will choose 7-9 talented people for the Call Committee. The individuals selected would fit the following criteria:
- Have the best interest of the WHOLE church at heart, not just a specific ministry or demographic
- Are available and committed to the committee and process (12-24 months)
- Possess characteristics that match the culture of the church and staff
- Live out Concordia’s Mission and Values
- Have expertise that complements the needs of Concordia
- Exudes a non-anxious presence and are good team players
- Demonstrates previous leadership experience
Communication and Input
During the call process you can expect two things from Council and staff: regular communication and request for input.
- Communication – You can expect an update every two weeks on this webpage. Even if there is nothing new to report – we will let you know that.
- Input – Throughout the process we will request input from you beginning with the above call committee recommendations. In addition, during this pre-search phase there may be a survey or two asking about your life here at Concordia, what you aspire it to be, and possibly what characteristics you are looking for in a new pastor. Once we get to the actual search we will ask for names of potential candidates. When we have candidates visit, we want you to meet them and give your feedback. When we come to a vote, whether it be for one or multiple candidates, we will want to hear your voice. Finally, anytime you have ideas, thoughts or concerns, we set up a dedicated email address for the call process at . Please use it.
We look forward to our future. As we kick off the process, and throughout, please pray for Concordia, its staff, Call Committee, leaders, and the next Senior Pastor God will call to Concordia. To quote Pastor Jacob from a recent sermon, "Our future is never the brightest in the rearview mirror. Our future is always the brightest in front of us, why? Because God had a plan, He has a plan, and He is working that plan. Jesus is Lord of His church and He will always provide for His people.”